Leadership 101: What Makes A Great Leader?
A leader is not born a leader. There is no hidden ‘gift’ that gets handed down by the leadership Gods. There is no ‘leadership’ gene.
So if you feel like you don’t have what it takes to become a great leader, think again!
So then, what is a leader?
- Leaders are visionaries, who are able to identify problems and create solutions.
- A leader absorbs knowledge through experience, and by observing and listening to the world around them.
- Great leaders aren’t afraid to make mistakes to achieve success. They are risktakers.
What separates a regular person from a GREAT leader?
Here are 5 of my favourite quotes about leadership that illustrate what it means to be a great leader.
- “Leadership is having a vision, sharing that vision and inspiring others to support your vision while creating their own.”
– Founder, REAL Thought Leaders
- “Leadership is the art of serving others by equipping them with training, tools and people as well as your time, energy and emotional intelligence so that they can realize their full potential, both personally and professionally.”
– Daphne Mallory, Family Business radio presenter, and family business expert
- “In my experience, leadership is about three things: To listen, to inspire and to empower. Over the years, I’ve tried to learn to do a much better job listening actively, making sure I really understand the other person’s point of view, learning from them, and using that basis of trust and collaboration to inspire and empower. [It’s about] setting the bar high, and then giving them the time and resources to do great work.”
– Larry Garfield, president, Garfield Group
- “Leadership means using one’s influence to help guide others in successfully achieving a goal without desire for recognition, without worry of what others think and with awareness of issues, internal or external, that might change the results sought.””Too many people view management as leadership. It’s not. Leadership comes from influence, and influence can come from anyone at any level and in any role. Being open and authentic, helping to lift others up and working toward a common mission build influence. True leadership comes when those around you are influenced by your life in a positive way
– Marie Hansen, dean of the college of business, Husson University
“Too many people view management as leadership. It’s not. Leadership comes from influence, and influence can come from anyone at any level and in any role. Being open and authentic, helping to lift others up and working toward a common mission build influence. True leadership comes when those around you are influenced by your life in a positive way.”
– Kurt Uhlir, CEO and co-founder, Sideqik
What’s your definition of a leader?
- 5 Things an MBA Offers that you can’t get from Work Experience
- The Real ROI of an MBA
- Using an MBA to get Promoted
At Kaplan Business School, our MBA programs are designed to create the business leaders of tomorrow. Our graduates have gone on to become entrepreneurs, directors and managers all across Australia and the globe.
Click here to find out more about our globally recognised MBA program, delivered online or on-campus, full-time and part-time. FEE-HELP approved.