Accounting and finance professionals provide the very foundation which a business is built upon. They bring the commercial know-how, analytical thinking and leadership qualities that add great value to any organisation. After all, they are the ones who have spent the time to become proficient in the language of business.
01. Highly Regarded
Accounting remains as one of the most highly regarded careers in the business world. People enjoy accounting careers as they bring opportunities for career progression, stability, and not to mention – very high salaries!
02. Multiple Industries
Accountants are found across all industries, including fashion, real estate, construction, technology, government organisations, charities, as well as working for major clients in the Big 4 (KPMG, PwC, Deloitte or Ernst & Young) or public practice firms.
03. High Demand
The best part? Accounting jobs are continuously in high demand, so you’d be hard-pressed to find yourself out of work. Even during economic slumps, demand for accountants in Australia and around the world remains high for the extensive specialist skills they can bring to a company.
Working accountants in Australia
Accounting jobs on SEEK (May 2015)
Accounting job growth (5 years)
AN ACCOUNTANT’S ROLE
An accountant’s role would include a variety of the following tasks but is not limited to:
- Analysing the revenue and expenditure of a business.
- Conducting financial investigations and audits, and preparing reports.
- Reporting to managers, directors or shareholders about the financial health of a business.
- Providing advice to businesses on taxation, mergers, purchases, insolvency and financing.
- Developing budget and accounting policies.
- Liaising with external auditors.
- Preparing profit and loss statements, monthly closing and cost accounting reports.
- Resolving accounting discrepancies
Those who study accounting enjoy a variety of career paths including:
- Tax Accountant
- Financial Accountant
- Management Accountant
- Forensic Accountant
- Finance Manager
- Investment Analyst
- Cost Accountant
GRADUATE SALARY RANGES
$39,300 – $52,000
$36,000 – $45,000
$41,000 – $48,900